View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #758
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Well this seems really familiar. (Photo 1) Like post 360 all over again.
I hopped in the truck after a nice 13 hour day at work last night and I was more than ready to get home. My trusty truck fired right up, but the starter kept running. Grrrr!
I shut it down and tried to start it again, but no starter action this time. More cursing.
After another couple of mintues I tried it again and it started right up but I could still hear the starter running. I shut it off and while I sat there thinking of my options I noticed a bit of smoke and smelled burnt bakelite. Uggg.
Feeling under the dash I could tell the ignition switch was warm. After trying to get the plug off of the switch with no success I changed tactics and removed the ignition switch. As the tumbler didn't want to come out it took 30 to 40 minutes to finally get the switch out and in the open. Once I got the switch out it was obvious that there has been another switch failure. As to what caused it to fail is yet to be determined, but I did notice the ACC tab was kind of bent. I don't know if that was from my fight to remove the plug from the switch before I removed the switch or from something else.
I was able to cut off some of the plug that was melted (Photo #2) and scrape the terminal and connector enough to get a reasonable electrical connection for the 2 brown wires to reconnect to the ACC tab once the plug was reconnected to the switch..
The purple solenoid wire part of the plug body was too deformed from the heat to reconnect and since it was part of the problem with starter continuing to run I decided to leave it disconnected and to jumper it to start the truck and get home. Fortunately the truck was able to run with the damaged plug and I made it home without further issues.
The switch was new in August of 2018 some 25k miles ago. More troubleshooting to follow.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote