View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #772
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Picking back up on another delayed project. The Gearvendors wiring upgrade.
The supplied wire that comes with a Gear Vendors is not shielded. This makes the sytem susceptible to interference from the ignition system.
The GV installation manual states to keep the wiring clear of all other wires which is not really feasible or reasonable to expect, unless you're looking for a place to lay blame if something doesn't work correctly.
After installing my new Pertronix ignition I had problems with the Gearvendors controller freaking out and causing the unit to jump in and out of overdrive repeatedly. I solved the problem temporarily by wrapping the wires in aluminum foil. (The way some of us keep the guvmnt from reading our brain waves. ) see first photo.
I found it a bit difficult to get some 20 gauge 2 conductor shielded wire in less than 500 foot rolls. Covid was the common reason given. Finally though I got 25 feet to make the new cables. Then I got real lucky and found some melted GV wires. By cutting the phone handset plugs off of the bad set it will be less of a guessing game to get the new cables correct.
Gearvendors isn't very forthcoming with information on their controller and its wiring. All I was able to glean from one of the sales techs (Their actual technical desk wouldn't share any information) was that she thought that they only used the outside pins on the phone plug.
They have all 4 pins wired up. (Photo #2)
They use a 6 conductor unshielded cable with the white and the blue conductors not used. (Photo #3)
I just cut the phone plugs off and soldered them to my new shielded cable. The originals had the black and red conductors paired and color coded to be the positive conductor and the yellow and green paired and color coded to be the negative conductor. (Photo #4)
I don't know why but GV connects the white and blue conductors on the other end of the cables they supply. Last photo.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote