View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
rickpilgrim

Re: 427 tall deck???? I need HELP!!!

We have a 1972 tall deck 427 w/4L80E in our 1993 K3500 ex cab dually. Don't let people tell you they are slow to rev or can't hit 4000 rpm in a flash hasn't tried a good running one in a 1 ton or smaller car or truck.
Mine sits right on the 6.5TD mounts, 2 hits with the rubber hammer on the oil pan for front diff clearance and it dropped right in. The 4L80E shifts at 3750 but under full throttle I've seen 4000 before the computer catches up to shift. I used a 1982 454 water pump, used an aftermarket chrome BB Chevy alt mount and cut an extended it to work, used a March ps pump mount and an R4 AC compressor and brackets for a 454. Using the stock 427 lower pulley I ran all v-belts with a few shims to line it all up. I also used 454 exhaust manifolds and y pipe and a 3 1/2" single exhaust. On top I used a carb adapter to mate a Holley 650 spreadbore carb with the jets from the 427's Holley carb. For distributor I took a Chinese made HEI to the machine shop and paid $15 to cut it for the adjustable collar from the hardware store. To that I mated the 427's stock distributor gear and oil pump drive, had to file a bit of the bottom of the hei to fit the gear and dropped it in and set the length.
I had to add a cowl scoop to clear the 14x4 air filter and I use a carter electric fuel pump and 3/8" fuel line.
What I ended up with is a truck that when empty chirps the duals on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, revs faster than the optishift can shift for, make the 12v cummins and 6.0 power stroke guys scratch their heads and say wtf when we lose them on the on ramp with 7500 lb trailer behind, will tow that trailer at 80mph without straining, delivers 10-12 mpg when towing if you behave, has 10qts oil in it, never gets hot, never acts up, purrs like a kitten and handles that 24' ball hitch 15000gvw trailer with 6-48" and bigger zt mowers plus fuel cans and blowers/trimmers so well you forget it's behind you, especially in the city. You can easily make a 496 out of it, the intake manifold flows very good so just use exhaust adapters and keep the dual thermostat and you'll have a daily driver that won't disappoint .
rickpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote