View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 10:35 AM   #6
weim55

Re: Electric power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguyase View Post
Hi weim55. I would take the whole steering column from the steering wheel down to the lowest part of the shafts. Make sure you get all the electrical connectors that go to the ECU, they are hard to get. you'll need a splined connector to weld to the bottom shaft. It is a 3/4" round x 36 splined 11/16" (17mm). the factory upper splined shaft is easy to work with. Your factory shaft is 3/4" round. I cross drilled the connector plus welded it to the lower shaft. you can also cut your shafts to accept a double D connector.

Doesn’t sound too difficult. I’m lucky enough to have a home machinist right across the street from the house, the rest I can fab/welded here in the garage.
My VW wagon turned me on to electric power steering for the first time. Marvel at how seamlessly perfect it works, all the time. it does not have some of the minor quirks of older hydraulic steering. There is also plenty of room under the dash of these old trucks to fit and keep it hidden out of sight. Sniffed around the net on the subject and came up with a list of wrecking yard donors.
Thanks for posting the example, it was quite timely. I look forward to putting it together in the near future!

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote