View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #185
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
fantastic work... and well written thread too.
man, i'm enjoying your build. and thanks.
Glad you're enjoying it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I think he means standard gasoline you get at the pump.... Only so much you can legally do to raise the octane in that stuff. After that you are no longer street legal if I am not mistaken.

For my ram air I am thinking of a cowl induction not dissimilar to the old GTO RAM III and RAM IV but with one of those dog eared Oldsmobile air intakes.

Fun times !!
I did misread that as "fuel pump" instead of pump fuel. . Can't wait to see what you come up with for your ram air system, sounds like its going to be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Pickup View Post
Thanks McMurphy I am referring to octane, 93 pump gas will limit the horsepower for a street ride. Race fuel or octane boost if the compression is too high to hit the upper horsepower. I'm no builder, just what my builder told me. Do you have a way around that, or does the turbo compensate for the pump gas?
We have 105 octane E85 ethanol/gas blend at nearly every station around here and it's a good bit cheaper than regular 87 octane gasoline. It only has about 70-80% of the thermal energy that gasoline has, so it has to be jetted richer to compensate. It uses more fuel that way but since it's cheaper the cost per mile should be about the same. Since its 85% alcohol it also runs way cooler than gas does, so it helps the engine to run cool even with way high compression. For now I'll use three two barrel Dellorto carbs or triple throttle body efi. A turbo isn't out of the question but that would be way down the road after everything else is done and sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill64step View Post
Thought I recognized the place. I'd love to check out your project sometime when I'm back down that way. I need to get down there within the next few weeks to get some work done on mine(It's at my parent's house in Abbeville). My frame is sitting outside in primer, and I've got to get it painted before it starts to rust lol.
Let me know when you're in the area and I'll give you the grand tour My frame is outside too so it's gotta be sandblasted again since its already started rusting.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote