View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #287
joedoh

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

check out e015475 thread, some painters wont touch a truck that they didnt do the work on. I know other painters that will show up, mix, shoot, clean their gun, and leave.

painting isnt about painting. its about sanding. endless amounts of sanding. reams of sandpaper and dust boogers and rubbing your hands on panels like the longest massage you have ever experienced. I dont have the patience for body work, to me its like pushing wrinkles out of a bedsheet, push here and you need more work there, and in the end you are just going to lay on it anyway.

add to that the merciless and vocal criticism of the guys who havent ever done it but know how it should be done. someone posted a 55?56?57? TF truck on the main page and most of the comments were about how it looked slapped together because the paint was shiny and nice and the underside still had rust and crud. its not really their fault, it illustrates that old saying about how fixing something up is a slippery slope because new next to old makes the old look REALLY OLD. You will end up replacing gaskets and painting window frames and polishing wiper arms, its just what happens. Still, I cant wait till some of those guys sell their trucks, because turnabout is fair play, and I hope they are completely spotless and ready for Barrett Jackson.

I have had show trucks with very expensive paint jobs, for driving one around I like the unpainted look. I can still haul wood, drive in rain/snow, down a dirt road, etc. I like not having to worry about it, and the best thing is that nothing looks out of place or too new on an unpainted truck. BUT in some neighborhoods, the HOA will have a fit. the guy who bought my 65 had to have it plastidipped because of his HOA.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote