View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Did some boneyard hunting this morning for 5.3 parts. One yard only had a single vehicle that was built with a gen III engine, but it had been pulled already. On the way back home I hit up another. They had plenty, but they wouldn't let me in to wander the yard. They did let me in to go scrounge in their engine core pile. That narrowed my focus a little bit, but they did have around a half dozen gen III's laying around. Nice thing about these engines is that the blocks are clearly marked what displacement they are with cast in numbers on the ends.

1st minor mistake, I forgot my blue point electric impact at the house. I won't do that again. I could have got the balancer I needed, but I neglected to bring my balancer removal tool (2nd mistake). I did get the bolt though, but attempts to get the balancer off by any other means were going to destroy it. So I focused on the little things I could get. I went after the dipstick and tube. I've got coils, but no brackets so I grabbed a pair with the coil harness attached. I also went after steam tubes that connect the heads together and provide the coolant feed to the throttle body. I got the hose that goes from steam tube to throttle body too. I ended up getting two different styles of tubes just in case. The more common setup only has one tube coming off the front of the heads, passing under the throttle body and the rear passages are blocked off. The other setup actually has all 4 passages tied together with one tube. I pulled the formed hose for the pcv from the intake to valve cover.

It was all small stuff, but since my 5.3 was stripped bare to be put on the crate engine we installed into a customer's truck so the engine needs all the small stuff. Larry did score me some factory fuel lines that match up to the intake from Workhorse too. I've got a few more things to get a hold of, but it's getting closer.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote