View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #38
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Re: 88 GMC Driver / Project

Well I'm currently underway with the swap, I have hit a few snags here and there delaying the process but nothing too major

I picked up a 91 6.2 that came out of a service truck from a school, can't remember exactly but it has somewhere around 150k

I decided to get it running and see how I felt about it to decide if I wanted to use it instead of the 83, it started and ran just fine, so I decided to go with the 91 because of the 1-piece rear seal and was being driven less than 2 years ago instead of the 83 which has been sitting for 10-20 years (even tho I think the 83 runs minorly better) do to the fact that I don't really feel like putting all new seals and whatnot in either engine at the moment

So shortly after I bought the 91 engine, I posted the 350/700r4 combo for sale and sold it 3 days later, got some money and pulled it out that day

Made a list and ordered goodies for the swap

Dug out my two 5-speed transmissions only to find that one was sure enough bad, the other didn't feel that great, and that there were pre NV-3500 trannys, so the hunt was on for a NV-3500.... No real luck with that, so I had bought a NV-4500 a while back just for giggles, and even tho it's a lot bigger heavier and all that than I really wanted, it's what I had, so off to the driveshaft shop to get a re-modified shaft made (remodify: to modify something after it's been modified before, or if you are the guy I learned the word from, it doesn't even have to be modified before modification begins)

So with my super expensive remodified drive shaft (just had it modded when I lowered the truck) a big ol NV4500 trans, a 91 6.2 and some goodies from RockAuto and other places, I began the task of putting this behemoth together

In a stupid act of idk what several years back we left the hood off of my diesel parts truck and the sun decided to munch on the wiring harness and throttle cable I needed, and speaking of wiring harnesses the one that came with my 91 engine was for an auto trans and had been cut right at the firewall bulkhead on the pass side

So with 2 messed up engine harnesses I started the task of building one that would hopefully work (I say that knowing quite a bit about wiring, so you can tell this is a mess)
Just like every other manufacturer out there, GM decided that different years would get different wire routing, some different colors, and my favorite different wire locations in connectors

Found that GM also decided not to install the upper clutch pedal mount in automatic trucks, so I had a few options, remove dash and go drill the spot welds and remove the mount from a parts truck, then do the same to mine but weld it in instead
Drill holes and install nutserts / nut rivets
Or get some big self tapping screws and zip that thing in good.... I went with this option for ease, even tho I'd much rather have the factory mount, I really am not wanting to pull my dash yet

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 07-07-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote