View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 02:11 AM   #28
pilotXC

Re: 1972 K20 LQ4/4L80E Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy11 View Post
I am using a cutout template for my firewall, not my actual cab, but notice even with that I'm going to have the same clearance issue with my K10. I checked the underside and don't have a ton of room to slide forward further without hitting my oil pan against the DD cross member (and I have the truck pan).
Pilot did you say you flipped sides on the mounts and it helped? Was that the engine mounts or the clamshells/crossmember section that you flipped?
I messed around with the mounts more today, flipped them again (the slider part that bolts to the block. I put the "P" on the D side and the "D" on the P side) and it gives a lot more room between the firewall and engine, but you can't adjust it back at all AND the cross member won't go in because the oil pan is too far forward.

Bottom line is there's only 1 way to mount the engine in a K series truck (I think the mounts were engineered for a C series and they "work" for a K series so they haven't bothered to make a better option as I doubt there is enough people doing K series swaps to make it worth the investment and/or not enough people have complained) it seems with the Dirty Dingo clam shell/slider/cross member combo. All the way forward, which puts the engine very far back against the firewall. I'd appreciate a more well engineered piece of $114 metal myself and am pretty disappointed in the motor mounts and the customer service I got. They didn't reply without bothering them and were condescending and dismissive when they did... Happy with the cross member overall, but in retrospect like the look of the Pacific Fab version better.

I have a friend who's a professional fabricator and considered going to him and seeing if he would replicate the DD slide mount but allow for actual adjustment, but I'm kind of in a time crunch to get this knocked out, so will make it work as it is and I think once I get the transmission in the right position, it will be ok.
Attached Images

Last edited by pilotXC; 12-15-2019 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Adding a photo with engine in after rehabbed inner fenders are mounted.
pilotXC is offline   Reply With Quote