View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
JHILDE

4 link vs Leaf springs

I have a 1982 C10 that was my grandfather's. He died (20 years ago... damn it seems like yesterday) while he and I were fixing it up in high school for me. It was my 1st vehicle and I will never get rid of it. About 15 years ago I had a crash and bent the frame, got it "professionally" straightened but it has never been quite right. A friend recently gave me a straight frame from a truck he only needed the cab for. While discussing it with another friend me said "So, you gonna 4 link it?". I had planned on just doing a axle flip but now this 4 link idea is stuck in my head. I have access to all the tools, space, chassis jig table, ect.

The truck has a 383 sbc (.60 over, so 388) making 475 hp/550 ft/lbs ish , 4l80e, stock 10 bolt with 3.73 and an Eaton Posi. The drive train will likely stay the same but with the likely addition of fuel injection, maybe a bottle, and maybe a narrowed 9" if I go with the 4 link. I had originally thought about an LS swap but it seems overdone now. Everyone has one. Ideally I just want to tuck the tires into the wheel wells with 1/2-1" between the fender line and the top of the tire. Static 3/5 ish, or whatever it takes to get there, drop is what I am looking for.

Realistically the truck will just be a driver. Something to take the GF out on a spirited Sunday drive, showing off, ect. It may see the drag strip a few times a year. I would like to Long Haul the Hot Rod Power Tour 2020 or 2021.

So with that background... Pros and Cons of 4 link vs Leaf springs?
JHILDE is offline   Reply With Quote