View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

The Ant Farm - 67 C10 Suburban project

Browsing through CL to find a front clip donor for my stepside turned into an added vehicle in my stable. I needed that like another hole in my head but after seeing it in person and finding out more about it I just had to keep it intact and build it as a family hauler.

The ad mentioned nothing about how long it had been sitting just that it was not running. It had been sitting for 33 years without moving an inch. Turns out it was the original owners son selling it for his elderly mother. His dad the original owner parked it in 1979 when he got tired of the carburetor problems he was having so he bought a new Suburban. He parked the 67 under a pine tree out back on the farm and left it there. He died nine years later. 21 more years passed after his death and she decided to sell the Carry All.

90k miles, original owner, original license plate and title from 1974 when they moved into the state. The lady at the DMV had never seen a title that old before and neither had I. I scanned it in before I did the title paperwork just for posterity.

Sunk 6" into the ground at all four corners on fossilized bias ply tires. Two came off easily but two took some serious pounding to break the rust bond at the hub centric ring on the wheels. Two hours later I had it home and began the clean up process.

Forensic archaeology of the automotive variety ensued. Ants, mice and stink bugs had lived in there for decades but thankfully all that were left living were the ants. Under the rubber floor mats, in every opening in the engine compartment and everywhere in between. 6hp shop vac to the rescue. Ant infestation eradicated.

Ants had moved into the fuel bowl of the carburetor through the vent tube. Could possibly have been the reason he parked it in the first place. Project Ant Farm is born.

Unfortunately the mice had been living in the headliner cavity and had destroyed the headliner boards. I pulled them out intact to use as templates for replacement if I can come up with a suitable material.

A can of rust penetrant later and the stuck door locks & lock knobs functioned again.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote