View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #409
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
Planning to install an NV4500 in 64K10 with divorced transfer case and would like help with a couple of NV4500 questions.

I getting the NV from a rebuilding company and have the following options:
1). Aluminum or cast iron tail shaft; and
2). Screw or bolt on shifter lever ( does this choise effect the physical position of the shifter, e.g. It's height above transmission- any photos of the two types)

I will be a 2 wheel drive unit, with 5.61 first gear, and GM style front shaft and throw out bearing. Plan to use/modify a '64 style shift lever. Does the bolt on shifter lever, one sound easier?

Thanks,
Les
Quote:
Originally Posted by aotte1 View Post
A little more information, to help answer questions asked above. The engine will be a 406 SBC, with hopefull around 450 to 500 ft-lbs of torque and 425 to 450 H.P. Building engine now and no dyno info yet. Concentrating on max torque vs horse power.

The truck will be a road queen driver, with minimum loads, probable max of about 7,000 lbs if used for towing. No power shifting, as stock u-joints and drive shafts are really small.
Tires some where around 33 to 34s.
Thanks,
Les
Wow, those are pretty lofty numbers for a SBC….

1) If you’re running a divorced transfercase the rear cover material doesn’t really matter. Cast iron is the obvious choice if it isn't stupid expensive.
2) The 4 bolt shifter tower is my personal preference as it has cleaner easier shift gates IMOP. However, I don’t think that push and twist shift towers of the first Gen NV4500’s is compatible with the Gen 2 granny gear of 5:61 anyway. The rebuilder expert would know that more than anybody. With enough creativity either shifter tower could be modified to use the original ’64 shift lever. Not sure that is worth worrying about being the shift tower will be at least 6” closer to the seat than it was before anyway.

Good luck with your project. Sounds fun!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote