View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 12:28 PM   #358
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

Let's add some color to this wood now. During my initial tests, I tried several methods including stains, paints and dyes. In the end, the most consistent results came from the stain. I decided on Minwax "True Black" solid water-based stain . I figured this job was going to take 2 quarts total. So, I bought a one gallon container and mixed both quarts together to insure a consistent finish.

I did most of my testing during the warm months and here we are in the middle of winter. So, I was a bit concerned about whether I would get the same results. So, to help, I placed a heater and a dehumidifier in the garage to replicate what I would've had during my tests.

Time to apply the first coat. I used a cotton applicator pad to apply the stain to the sides and ends, then the bottom. I applied with the grain, in one direction, using long sweeping strokes. When I did all of my tests, I wiped the excess stain off with a lint-free cloth. I bought three new bags of lint-free rags for this project from Lowes. For some strange reason, on my first board, the lint-free rags appeared to be leaving behind lint, ugh. So I went with Minwax's instructions to use a clean applicator pad to wipe off the excess instead. After I coated one side, I had to wait 1 hour to stain the other side. Here we are after on coat. Going to need more coats for sure.

Second coat going on now. I used the same process as the first coat. Going to need at least one more coat.

The third and what ended up being the final coat is going on now. The whole staining process took about eight hours. I think it turned out really nice. The only thing I wasn't happy with is the act of wiping off excess with the applicator pad instead of a cloth has caused a build up of lines. They almost look like small brush strokes. At least they are going in the same direction as the grain. Maybe something can be done with it later. I'll let these set for a few days to let it dry as much as possible before I try to handle them.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 05-04-2024 at 04:00 PM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote