View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #29
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

My buddy Chris got his new lift installed, so I took advantage of it. He tested the lift with his wife's little Toyota Venza, then Ratchet's Blazer went on there 2 nights in a row. He hasn't put his sweet 68 truck or Maggie on there yet.

The first night I drove the Blazer there and we finally got the filler vent line replaced and set the timing. It ended up taking me 2 hours to get from his house to mine (normally 40 minutes), because it ended up running worse after we "fixed" it.

The next night, I towed it over there (lesson learned from previous night ) so that we could drop the tank and have a look-see. The tank was completely covered in rust with crap floating around in the gas. Luckily, I had bought a Blazer gas tank for Oscar's truck a couple of years ago at CTC. A quick call to my wife Brandi and it was delivered to Chris' shop in less than an hour. Now that is service. After getting the new tank installed, which required a few modifications to the filler inlet on the tank, we ran it, checked the timing again, etc. Then it just died. Looking at the inline fuel filter before the carb, it was empty. We pondered what could of happened and came to the conclusion that we must have not put enough gas in it. After going to the station to get more gas, I opened the gas cap and it had so much pressure in there it literally covered me in gas. After relieving the pressure, it cranked right up and filled the filter again. We threw ideas at each other for probably more than an hour trying to explain this phenomenon, and the best we can come up with is that some rust or other trash is messing with the check valves in the fuel pump causing it to stop flowing to the carb and end up pressurizing the tank. I have another fuel pump... somewhere. When I find it I will install it and we'll see what happens, hopefully we are right because I am out of ideas after that.

Here's a few pics from last night's thrashing.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build

Last edited by smbrouss70; 07-28-2017 at 07:16 PM.
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote