View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
S_Gibson

Re: Consigning a vehicle

I tried to have a dealer sell a late model loaded 4wd Nissan pickup for me. It sat on their lot for 6 months and I finally picked it up and put it on Craigslist. I got a about a half dozen lowball offers through text and one call from a guy 230 miles away asking when he could look at it. The guy drove down the next day (a Friday) I let him drive it and he offered me $1000 to hold it until Monday when he could return with a certified check from his bank for the full asking price. It told him not to worry about a deposit and to give me a 1/2 hour notice when he would be in town and I'd meet him at my credit union. He showed up with a check for $22,000, my credit union verified the funds, notarized the title and we both left happy.

My experience with consigning was negative and a waste of time. I ended up making more selling it myself and took me less than a week. Good luck whatever you decide.

I sell on Craigslist quite often. On thing I'm very adamant about it setting a price I'll accept and sticking to it. I have 0 tolerance for lowballers and at the first sign of it I walk away. I have the item being sold so I control the sell. I waste minimal time with people. Over 90% of the people I've met with have been great people and a couple I still keep in touch with.

Example: I remember several years ago selling a dishwasher. Posted if for $75. I was specific in my post the price was firm. First person that came to look at it drove 25 miles. I took him down to the garage where I had it sitting right at the garage door. He looked at it and said "$30 sounds about right, that is what I'm willing to give you for it." I didn't say a word, shut my garage door, walked away and went inside. The guy stood there for about 5 minutes and finally left. His 1 hours commute wasted, only cost me a couple minutes. 2 hours later a girl came buy in and gave me full asking price.

That long story short, control the situation and don't let anyone waste any more of your time than needed. First time someone started kicking the tires and commenting on negatives I'd lock the truck and walk away. Everything after that is going to be a waste of your time.

Good luck!