View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #94
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: '67 Short Step #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
Actually that does make sense. I was told and had thought that the POR 15 was supposed to be air and water tight once applied, which in theory would stop rust from reforming and growing, since air and moisture have to be present for rust to grow.

I was told it has to be topcoated because it isn't UV resistant. As far as I had known, UV rays were the only thing that would keep it from doing it's job. I assume that this other chemical must be some sort of acid especially since it has to be rinsed off with water.

Anyway, I have been told that the POR 15 is an awesome product when used according to the directions. That's why I asked if he was going to use it on this truck. He's doing a lot of work to make it really nice, and as much surface rust as it has I sure don't want to see him have any problems come back later since it's going to be such a sweet ride when he's done.

I have bought some POR 15 for my truck, and hadn't heard about this other chemical. I need to do a little bit of research on it and see how it works before I try to use the POR 15 that I have on my truck. Thanks for the heads up on the other chemical. ...Joe

THey have 3 steps, check their site.
Step 1 = Marine clean.. Its basically a degreaser to get oil and junk off.
Step 2 = Metal ready.. Thats what changes the composition of the rust.
Step 3 = Por 15.

I like it so far, i just dont like the part of spraying it with water. Most people have their truck apart in their garage.. Not like they can move it outside to wash parts of their bare metal down with water ya know.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote