View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #36
theastronaut

Re: '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work

With the floor and firewall seams sealed up from the inside, I was ready to spray Lizzard Skin heat and sound insulation. I sprayed two coats of each on the floors, firewall, cowl, rear cab panel, and roof. It dampened the panels so they no longer sound like a tin can when tapped on. If you ever want to do this yourself, use paper masking instead of plastic- it doesn't stick to plastic and blows loose when you start putting on extra coats, making a huge mess.

Ever seen this many holes in a firewall before?!

I sprayed epoxy primer over the bare metal spot here before sprayin Lizzard Skin. LS is water based so you don't want it over bare metal.

The first two coats of Sound Control.

This is why I chose Lizzard Skin over Dynomat or other peel and stick sound deadeners- it's ability to be applied to areas where Dynomat sheets would have a hard time fitting, or sticking, or would have to be extensively trimmed to get even coverage. LS also is waterproof once it dries, is thick enough to seal seams, and won't ever get moisture behind it like peel and stick sheets could.

After spraying two coats of Heat Insulation and letting it dry. It dries to a dark gray/black color with a nice texture. If desired, it can be sanded flat and coated with high build primer painted to hide it, while keeping it's sound and heat insulating properties.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote