View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #171
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Thanks Bomp - I appreciate the encouragement.

Ok, so I've mentioned that my old method of lifting my cab ended up putting dents in the rounded off sides of the roof. I'd been using a cable attached to the ends of a plank that ran through the cab and using my chain host attached to the cable. That forms a triangle which put pressure on the roof edge, and when the cab found a reason to bounce, it caused dents.

Well, came up with a better device. Bought two 8 foot lengths of 1x3 11-guage rectangular tube, and scrounged around for the rest of the parts. The upper beam has tabs on both ends with holes and it slides up and down the uprights. I just drilled holes for a pin in both uprights - its adjustable by just drilling new holes. I connected 10" 2x4 to the bottom beam that sit inside the door frame. I can move them if need be for a different width cab. The blocks distribute the weight and are offset to allow me to position the upper beam fairly near the front of the roof to help balance the nose-heavy cab. I cut the upper beam 1/2" less than the distance between the uprights. By removing 1 of the pins, the whole thing opens enough to slide it into place. Ended up weighing more than I hoped - probably 30-40 lbs, but 1 person can mount it up without too much difficulty.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote