View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
88k5jimmy

Re: 1964 c10 long narrow/step bed

Very minor/major update depending on how you look at it. For mock up wheels and tires I'm using a 215/75R15 tire on a factory GM 15x6 steel wheel. They've worked out so far in order to cycle the suspension and let me work out some bugs there. I've all along wanted to go with the 20" Detroit steel wheels. However, as stated in my first post it's been difficult to determine exactly how tall of a tire I can use and still keep the tire inside the step fender, without having to mini tub the inner bed panel because I just don't want to mini tub. I've been told a 28" tall tire will fit when laid out and not perform any inner bed panel mods. I received some specs from Detroit steel wheels and they stated the 20x8 wheel I want, is 8" from bead mount to bead mount and 9" overall lip to lip. So I planned for a 28" tall tire (because that's what I've been told fits) and a tire with a tread section of 9.6", which is the width that equated to a 28" tall tire. The 215/75R15 equates to 26.5" with the weight of the truck and tread section of 8.5" Therefore I made a mock up 28" tall x 9.6" wide tire and stuck them in the fender and then laid the suspension out. I cut a piece of plywood 28" in diameter and then used chip board at 9.6" to make the tire/where sidewall meets the tread. The smaller the sidewall, the more square the tire is where the tread meets the sidewall. The more sidewall, the sidewall angles/rounds where the tread meets the sidewall. With the truck laid out, I did not have any clearance issues with the tire contacting the inner bed panel or the lip of the fender but 28" was too tall. The chip board was folded down/contacting the inner fender at the top of the tire. So my next step is to see if a 27" tall tire will clear when laid out.

88k5jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote