Thread: Rarest truck
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #30
jocko

Re: Rarest truck

I always enjoy this particular discussion. The concept of "low production numbers" really only became a thing when musclecar value exploded in the late 90's, early 2000's. And in these cases, the production numbers discussion got tacked onto a discussion about a vehicle that was already desirable (take your pick, 70 LS6, L78 Novas, etc - all desirable FIRST, then the discussion about how many were made came into the lexicon). Anyway, SOMEwhere along the way, the whole low numbers discussion got applied to anything and everything in an effort to make a low production number vehicle seem desirable. Doesn't work that way in my humble opinion. In other words,even though 68 K20 panels were produced in single digits - they will never be as desirable (on average, to the masses I mean) as a loaded 72 C10 swb Cheyenne Super with a 402. Like these trucks, it still comes down to one's personal definition of rare, but to me, a cab/chassis combo or 9' C30 stepper, etc that was purpose built for a task in low numbers does not equate to rare. To me, the term rare implies first being desirable to more than a handful of people, then low production numbers on top of that fact. Rarity can also come with time - I'm having a more and more difficult time finding a nice 37 chevy coupe these days, but that doesn't mean anyone else wants one - just means there aren't many left. So it's rare, as in hard for me to find one, but maybe not rare as in people are gonna bid to the moon on it when it rolls across the block at BJ. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on it - and no offense to ANYone that loves their 68 Longhorn, even if for no other reason than it IS a low production number truck - I'd love to have one too! Especially if it also happened to be a Custom Camper With a 396 In Ivory over Black with a blue interior. Just sayin.. And for what it's worth Mark, I think the ol Husky is cool AND rare. And I think that is the beauty of these trucks - doesn't matter if they are rare, or if they are loaded, or whatever, all that really matters is condition - and even when that is lousy, we seem to love em anyway and picture what they were in the past and what they could be again someday.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote