Thread: 28 Model A
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #37
Desperado454

Re: 28 Model A

I've made some progress on this and took a bunch of pictures along the way. Uploaded some of the more noteworthy ones to photobucket and am just going to add a bunch to this post, they are probably going to jump around a little bit. I apologize as some of these are kinda blurry. I'll add some notes to them, that is if they are worthy.

Starting off with the ladder bars which I still need to add gussets to and finish welding

Cut these out with the plasma cutter

the ladder bar jig

bar fit to the front bushing mount

ready to weld

here's an overall pic of them on the car, it looks like i forgot to upload a pic of the front bushing mounts. that's basically as far as I am on these

shows the notch i had to make to clear the shifter

shortened a driveshaft, only pic i have of that project. It turned out pretty good

bought a chopped insert from speedway but it was garbage so i just used it as a mockup to chop the shell before sending it back for a better one

bunch of the bars were too short

roughly in place

mounting the shock brackets from speedway. had to bend them to make them work

these are the 2 threaded bungs i machined that they bolt to. they go all the way through the frame

mounted the headlights to the shock brackets

the sun was setting when i took this pic so it almost looks like they're wired up and working

pretty sure this car was a special coupe and along the way someone tried to make it into a standard coupe. it was solid but i'd say they missed the mark a little bit. I bought a roof wood kit and decided to cut it all off and start over.

some of the roughness

bunch of heavy steel bracing

roof off

i wanted it to look as much like a standard coupe as possible so i tried to recreate the belt line as best i could. this is an attempt to make a piece for the quarter window so it has the belt line and bolts to the body like it originally did

coming into shape

ran through the bead roller

i trimmed the rear sedan panel i had so it would fit the coupe. here it is coming along

i wanted to retain the bead line that runs up the back of the roof so i am fitting that back on here. having the roof wood was a big help to me as i could fit the metal to where the wood suggested it should go.

i had to make up another flange piece so that the quarter window would bolt to back window piece

inside shot

tacking it together

here's a couple pics with it almost finished. still need to fill in the perforated areas that run down the sides of the quarter windows, cant really see them here.

i have some more pics to add but i've had my fill of doing this for tonight. ill add some more tomorrow or the next day

'28 Model A Build

-Brooks
Desperado454 is offline   Reply With Quote