View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #22
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Alright, so I'm back with some minor updates. I feel like I'm doing more running around and less actual building of the truck.. But I have began to tackle the cab a little bit.

Months ago I tried to begin disassembly on it. I ordered clutch head bits, and literally got nowhere with it. Not a single screw would come off the interior, the clutch heads just seemed to melt away. So my cab for the most part remained untouched while I had been focusing on the frame and everything else.

Finally I could ignore it no longer and had to get serious on it. I went down and bought a bunch of 1/4-20 bolts and started welding them to all the interior screws. Finally they came off relatively easily, and I could grind and reuse the bolts a 2nd time. In many cases I found it easier to hold the bolt to one side of the screw head to give myself a larger welding area on the other side, as holding it dead center of the screw head doesn't give you much room on any side of it.

So that's how it went getting the cab pieces all taken off. I pulled the windshield and the dash, and I began stripping the interior of all the rust. Let me just say this is painstaking work, absolutely not my favorite part of this build lol If it weren't for preserving the patina, one should seriously just cash out and have their cab sandblasted. Anyways, couple photos

All this is just one part of one day

POR-15 all around

Next I flipped it up and got the bottom

I really like the original moss on the roof

The cab is obviously in pretty bad shape. Pitting in the floor, rust through at the belt line, bottom back of the cab, cab corners, etc. I would really like the redo the floor, bottom back, and cab corners as all these area get covered up and would not show. I'll have to revisit it though, it's just not in the cards this summer

Thanks guys, I'll catch ya later

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-20-2017 at 02:11 PM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote