View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #46
Coley

Re: New replica tow hooks!

I certainly don't want to personally disparage anybody with respect to this product.
I admire anyone who has the nuggets to take on a business endeavor along these lines.

This particular item tho' is a very, very tricky product because it relates seriously to human safety.
In that, it is much different than say....building am/fm radios, or reproduction antennas or new grills or dash pads.
There should be a disclaimer that stays with the part constantly....built right into it.
Again...You can't warn away liability from a legal/engineering perspective.
You can however, mitigate or limit your liability by ensuring you have taken several or numerous steps at all phases to ensure the safety of the users.
That would include removing the GM logo...and casting 'Not approved for towing or lifting' right into the part.
It would also be to include testing data of the part...done by an approved/certified (independent) test facility through many iterations, etc and this paperwork would need to be on file and available.

That said.....I would bet dollars to donuts that GM has not approved this part and if/when they get wind of it, it won't end well for the person making them.
They, like most automotive manufacturers go to great lengths to limit and mitigate their liability....they wouldn't pass this part or approve it, I'm quite sure.
When they hear about this kind of stuff....they get pretty hot and heavy.....and particularly if it relates to human safety.

Regardless...I still admire anyone who has the moxy to endeavor in business and try to get ahead so hopefully this guy reviews this particular part and perhaps finds a better or different way through this.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote