View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Knight72

Big Rhonda long term build thread

I am starting a build thread to keep me on task over the next few years for the restore on my 72 lwb. I bought Rhonda for $1500 in Talladega a year or so back. Dropped it off in the garage with plans to chop the fram, make a swb stepper, and drop an old 350 in to putt around in. On the surface she looked great, but after digging in there are some problems I couldn't just gloss over. So my slap it together project and drive went out the window. There's nothing special about my truck, but I have a some sentimental attachment after spending the last year seeing it sit with flat tires looking ragged out and tired. So I am doing a long term build that will probably be a full frame off restoration. The plans also shifted on the drive train. Current plans:

454 (mild build) with Tremec TKO
New complete wiring from AAW
Replace rusted inner cowl, rockers, cab corners, and kick panels.
Replace the rusted sections of bed floor.
Clean and POR15 the frame.
Either a static 2/4 drop or bag system.
Relocate gas tank to under bed
Replace rusty radiator support and fenders.
Paint black with Detroit steel artillery style wheels.
Upgrade rear drums to disc
Power steering and brakes.

Timeline is 3-5 years. Goal is to cut my teeth on the restore doing all of it I possibly can myself. I've rebuilt a Cherokee 4x4 but nothing to this scope. A majority of my time will be practicing with body work and painting old panels. I've got a mig, most tools I'll need, and a plasma cutter. Other stuff will be purchased along the way.

Pictures are how she looked coming home last year. I'll update today or tomorrow with how she currently sits.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...42#post8247142
Knight72 is offline   Reply With Quote