View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 02:40 AM   #513
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Rolled out today to finish the installation of the track bar before it starts to rain. Basically the alignment of the axle side to side in the frame was all that was left to do so I felt confident I could beat the Weatherman's prediction.
First step was to set the ride height and once that was achieved on both sides. I measured the frame and found the center line and marked it on the cross member. (Photo #1). And to allow me to measure directly to the top of the rim on each side i clamped a straght edge to the cross member. Then I had to rig away to move the chassis side to side to get the axle centered and then hold it where I wanted it until the track bar was bolted in position.
To get in the ballpark I used a Come-a-Long rigged from the trailing arm on the passenger side to the frame rail on the driver's side. (Photo #2 at the bottom) ( 3/4" was the smallest increment the Come-a-Long would let me make. They not really known for their accuracy ).
Then for fine adjustment I wedged a small bottle jack on the driver's side and pushed the axle over to center. (Photo #3). The bottle jack worked very well for this, allowing me to make 1/16" adjustments. Once the axle is centered the track bar now has to be lined up to the mount on the trailing arm.
The adjustment is made on the passenger side end of the track bar. You have to turn the end out and try to eye ball the hole in the bushing with the hole in the mounting bracket. The bushing fits snugly and is hard to get into position I so lubed the sides of the mount with some anti-seize and things went much easier. It took 3 tries for me to get the bushing adjustment right so the bolt would slide right through. Then when I released the bottle jack it looked like things moved quite a bit as the bushings deflected. But a quick remeasure of the axle showed only 1/16" of deflection well within the standards for this vehicle.
I then checked the tire to wheel well measurements. (Photos #4 & 5) There definitely is a difference when measuring from the outside. Probably some body deflection from fifty years of abuse. I know the rear of the frame is tweaked and currently one set of body mounts are not installed. It was about a 3/16" to 1/4" difference from side to side.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote