View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #522
HO455
Post Whore

Talking Re: Working Man's Burbon

The first test of the die set revealed a problem. The top side was great (Photo #1) but the bottom was not correct. I used a 1/4" hole for my pilot which was too large. When the metal is deformed it stretches the hole and makes it larger. This in turn reduced the amount of material to make the square hole the correct size. (Photo #2). Basically I was able to push the bolt in with my thumb. Admittedly I used a thinner piece of stock than the actual material for the truck, but it was handy and as a proof of theory it did the job.
The cure was to make a pair of bushings and use a 3/16" pilot. I found some large 1/4" pop rivets removed the center pin, head on the end and cut them to length. Then drilled them to 3/16" on the lathe (To make sure the hole was centered) and I was ready for the second test run.
It was a success! I found a piece of a fender off a 90's Buick I scrapped that is near the same size as the angle. The jack on my "Toys are Us" press doesn't even start to work and the countersink is made. The photos show it all.
Some notes are I had to make sure the pilot holes in the stock were deburred completely or things don't work properly. And I used some anti-seize on the dies to allow the metal to slide easily.
The next step will be to file the holes square. I don't have a square file anywhere near the size I need so that will have to wait until tomorrow.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote