View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #59
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Not much going on, the weather has been bad and I can't make real progress until the frame is washed for powder coat. That and some BIG personal life changes. Long story short I've been busy with other things. Looks like I'll be landscaping a yard and setting up another house. Sets me back 2 months.

But I'm not ignoring my truck completely, I've been collecting new replacement hardware, mostly spares, though I've heard it's a good idea to replace lock washers. I've also read it's best to replace the prevailing torque lock nuts, and I'm doing just that. It's that or use lock washers, I prefer the nuts. What an expensive project, the "spare" hardware wasn't even cheap. I'll strip the replacement hardware and have it plated (or coated) with the rest.

On a side, I read a report that says lock washers are near worthless, if not defeat the purpose. Can't say if credible, but I'm building the truck as it left the factory. Less the missing frame/crossmember rivets anyway
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote