View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Carb vs Fuel Inj

I only read a couple of car/truck boards and one of the interesting things I see fairly often is people talking about having to adjust their timing and carbs for altitude. Im not sure but it seems odd to me. Back when all we had was carburation and points did people have to adjust their carbs and timing for road trip driving?

I sure as heck don't remember my dad having to fiddle about with his carbs or ignition when we went back to Minnesota in the summers to visit his family. We had to go through a couple of mountain passes to get there. Was the gas just better so altitude wasn't as much of a thing?

I keep seeing all the builds with newer FI engines, or old engines set up with FITECH or Holley etc etc. Is this really the best way to go if the plan for whatever you are building is to take it on trips?

Cant you build one of our trucks with a carbureted engine and HEI upgraded ignition that would go coast to coast anymore without having to constantly fiddle about with timing and carbs? Build it, dial it in, close the hood and just go. No messing around under the hood until its oil change time?