View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 08:46 PM   #190
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

No real progress, just more parts collecting. I finally found another set of NOS Cibie driving lights (top lights in pic) to tie in with the high beams for better distance visibility at night. This was one of the best things I did to the maroon '88 when I first bought it.

Found a set of BMW/BBS 13x6" wheels for cheap locally, but only because I was running low on wheels...

The new cover for the race seat had been on hold, waiting on these harness grommets to show up. They were supposed to be aluminum but were plated instead, which would've worked for the brushed finish I wanted if the plating hadn't been so thin. I'll have to strip all the copper off or find another option.

I picked up a rust free local '93 Aqua for a friend in Ohio and delivered it to him at a weekend Festiva meet near Columbus. The flatbed did great on the 1100 mile round trip, and got better than expected mileage even with all the hills- 11.1 towing on the way up and 12.3 on the way back with the tow dolly strapped to the flatbed. One of the guys had someone hit him at an intersection, so I helped pull out the damage using ratchet straps and limited tools. I got to drive a 1.6 dohc swapped Festiva for the first time, and also a 1.8 swap, and finally a 1.6 turbo XR2 swapped Festiva... that was probably top 2-3 fastest cars I've ever driven, and I'm itching to XR2 swap one of mine now.

I've been wanting an Aspire trans for the shorter final drive and was able to pick one up at the meet in Ohio. I split the case to look inside but haven't done anything else with it yet.

And I bought another Capri, this time a pretty special one. They only made 366 turbo XR2 models in '94 (last year of production) so I was surprised to find one that was close enough and cheap enough. The owner parked it a few years back after a mechanic shop ruined the crankshaft snout after redoing the timing belt. He had bought another XR2 engine to fix it but it ended up also having a bad crank snout, so he gave up on it. I bought it Friday after work and got the drivetrain and harness/ecu pulled. I'll do a quick detail on the shell and post it on the Capri group for someone to restore.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote