View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #195
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Made a bit more progress on the b3 build. The original intake has been a restriction even on the mild 75-80hp engine that's in it now. A friend of mine in the Festiva group has been playing around with aluminum casting and wanted an intake that would adapt independent throttle bodies from a sports bike to the original Festiva engine, and we had talked about a version for bike carbs as well. The angles runners required for bike carbs didn't work out, but we found snowmobile carbs that are designed to mount flat and he made castings to mount them to the engine using 3D printed forms.

This was a test run, not the actual production piece we'll end up using. I have the 3d printed forms now to slick up with high build primer and paint so we can send them to another friend that will cast and machine a batch of them.

Yamaha RX1 carbs and dual Ferrea valve springs that are known good to at least 8500 rpm.

I decided to use the original block instead of the standard bore Aspire block after finding NOS .030" pistons on eBay and NOS Mazda rings in Dubai.

Before/after pics of porting the head.

Found a suitable spot on the block to drill and tap for a breather vent. I'll also drill/tap the valve cover and run lines to an air/oil separator.

And the obligatory Capri purchase post. Found this one 20 min away for $450 and it was running/driving with only 130k miles. It's a '92 so it has a big nose crank engine. Plan is to do a little fixing up and drive it while the Festiva is apart getting the new engine swapped and dialed in. I've already bought a set of wheels and tires, new top, basic maintenance parts for the engine, and pulled a bunch of parts from my parts cars to make it dailyable. I'm off all this week so I'll work on doing some minor bodywork an shoot it the original white color to make it less ugly. I've put around 375 miles on it so far and it runs and drives great.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote