View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #613
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Re: Project - '69 4x4 named "Patches"

I guess I need to knock the dust off of this thread.

Not much progress as of late to report. Between work and the summer heat I haven't had much of an urge to get off the couch the past few months.

Boredom finally set in this weekend, so I decided to get in the basement and rearrange truck parts, while doing that I decided to dig out the parts for my bed and try to assemble it. Alan happened to come over at the right time and he helped me put it together. The Goodmark bedsides have never been out of the box, so I was curious to see what they looked like. Both sides are really straight and looked really good for reproduction pieces, with the exception of a small dent on the driver's side tail light area (see pic below) and it looked like it was done in shipping maybe.

We mounted the new wheel wheel to the driver's bedside and installed the bedside with a couple of bolts and then mounted the Mar-K header panel (which is a real nice piece by the way). We moved to the passenger side and tried to install the bedside the same way we did with the driver's side, but as luck would have it it didn't go together as easy. Long story short I had to trim a small piece (cutting wheel thickness) of the bedfloor so the bedside would slide in the groove by the rear stake pocket. Other than that little issue everything went smooth. I dug out my tailgate and mounted it as well.

Just to recap, the entire bed was assembled with reproduction parts, with the Mar-K header panel being the only part being made in the US. With that being said though I was really surprised at how good everything lined up and how easy it all went together.

I took the rollers off the rear and mounted up the 33's just to see how they looked with the bed on. I'm still undecided about how they look. I'll have to wait to get the cab and front end mounted and let the springs settle before I fully form an opinion about the wheel and tire combo.

So without further delay here are a few pics. Enjoy!

Thanks again to Alan for the help and motivating me to get off my rear end.

Stay tuned for future updates.