View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #15
trac209

Re: 400 rwhp and 20+ mpg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
20-30 mpg?

Modern midsize trucks can't even achieve close to that.

Even with a fuel injected LS and OD, expect 12-14 around town and 17-20 highway depending on your driving style/habit (and rear end gear!). Anything over 60mph on the highway and you start to lose mpg with these trucks (huge bricks).

The older Cummins with a manual can absolutely get mid 20's. My uncle has owned a 94 Ram reg cab longbed with a cummins for probably 15 years now. He hauled my 67 from NY to SC for me (rode with him) and hand calcs (GPS verified) showed 17 MPG with a 2500 lb trailer and 4K pound truck. He regularly gets low to mid 20's unloaded on the highway. I have read the newer ones are way up on power, but emissions (and the sheer size and weight of the newer trucks!) have killed economy.

This is also very true. My grocery getter mazda 3 doesn't get any better then 30 mpg highway. I doubt any full size truck comes close to 30 mpg downhill. Though I see the big three try to claim otherwise. Trying to get 30 mpg in these trucks when new factory trucks can't is like saying we know more then the engineers at gm,ford etc. We all would like better mpg and there's ways to improve most times but being realistic is also key.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote