View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #41
Mr-Jack
Beer Drink'n Knuckle Dragger

Re: 67 GMC Lift thread

Well...not a lot to report lately...been to the dr a couple of times cause my wife was in "false" labor, so been holding back on tearing too much into the truck.

I did however manage to get the lifter tick out. Adjusted the valves while running.

Then after that, I wanted to trouble shoot my starting problem...My truck started, but it took some encouraging. I was getting sick of it. So I pulled the starter and saw this:

So I went and bought a new solenoid...well, I've about had it with O'reilly's Autoparts lately. I give them the description of my truck and a part number and I pick my part up on my way home from work, and it's differant. I live 15 minute drive to town, so I was inclined to make it work. Rebuilt the solenoid using bits and pieces. I couldn't use the cap cause it was a 1/2" taller than the old one. so I sealed the cap and used some adel clamps to keep it tight (this is only a temporary fix until i get a new magnet style mini starter.)

After that, I thought about replacing the battery cables...I wanted something with a bit more nuts...so i found some old welding cables I had and used them for my positive and negative battery cables...2/0 gauge. Man these are beef cake too...had to cut them with a cutoff wheel.

Installed some quick release terminals on the battery. I love these things...makes connecting and disconnecting a snap, and puts less stress on the posts cause you don't have constantly be wrenching on them. I like to disconnect the battery when it's not in use...not necessarily theft deterrant, but for saving batteries incase i have an unexpected draw.

And here the starter sits snugly in it's home. I'm sure you've all seen one, but looks good with 2/0 gauge wire on it This thing fired up like it was scared awake LOL. Love the simple upgrades.

Jack
Mr-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote