View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #28
AnotherWs6

Re: Painting "CHEVROLET" tailgate lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoreAmerica View Post
Obviously I am no pro. I screwed up my tailgate. Next go round I will paint the band or entire face white then use the decals with tape as a masking tool. I will apply the decals with the masking tape to the recessed letters and paint the green. Remove the masking/decals and clear the gate.

I am no pro but I can tell you that in my opinion prepping the tailgate is a lot of work and not something you want to have a painting problem with.
You dont need to be a pro, honestly. If you paint the whole thing a solid color with clear coat and it comes out good then you are most of the way there. Now that you have a nice, smooth surface you sand it with fine grit sand paper like you would if you were going to sand and buff it. You can also use a grey scotchbrite with stuff called Blend-prep. Its this toothpaste tube of stuff that makes getting all of the edges and nooks sanded without worrying about burning through the paint. Then you spray the white and sane it again with a small block, then clear once more. Saves a TON of taping and loos great. If you can paint you can do it.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote