View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #57
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalprelude View Post
Looking at the drop spindles and disc brake conversion that you picked-up from Summit. I have 15 inch, 6 lug steel rims and am a little worried about the wheel's clearance of the caliper. Did you have any issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
I was told by brothers trucks that the stock steel wheels will not work.
If you read all the info on the spindle/disc brake kit there is one line that reads "suggested wheel diameter: 17"
I did not see this when i ordered and was hoping to use a set of stock steelies while i saved up for the Detroit Steel Wheels that i ultimately will use. When i got the kit I set the disc rotors and calipers inside the 15" wheel and they just barely fit (pic 1). I found the 17" black wheels im using now on CL for stupid cheap with basically brand new rubber. They work, but also just barely. The deeper back spacing pulled the lower ball joint into the wheel but because of the larger wheel diameter it was ok. (pic 2 the angle is weird but there is clearance of the ball joint)
I would suggest bigger wheels if you use this kit. If you're set on the stock wheels you may be able to get a smaller rotor that works on the spindle, but you'd have to call McGaughys to find out for sure
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote