View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #74
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Having a driver is so much more fun than the truck sitting in the garage!
I've been able run a few errands with her and its a blast, but the work is far from done. This pic is a recreation of the first time i had the truck at my parts shop, a year and eight months ago!
Name:  20170415.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  47.7 KB

With the new alternator i wanted to be able to monitor the charging system so I replaced the P.O.'s ammeter with a Sunpro Voltmeter. The dash cluster was already "modified" by one of the previous owners putting in Sunpro Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Ammeter gauges. The installation was less than good looking, making any new modification easy to swallow since i'm not ruining a good original piece. The truck did come with a spare cluster that is still stock and complete in case i ever want to go back to that. I also installed a Sunpro Super Tach II to keep an eye on the RPMs. I hung this from the bottom of the dash just under the ignition key and it's pretty well hidden when you look in the driver's window but easy to read while driving.
Name:  17965738_757447621073052_1860048561_n.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  22.2 KB

After installing and testing the new gauges, i lost my headlights! After some investigation i was able to trace the problem to a burnt out headlight switch. Hopefully it's a simple replacement and nothing else was hurt. I hear there is a "headlight relay mod" that a lot of people do to avoid this exact thing so i'll be researching that. While i was working on the lighting circuits i replaced a bunch of hack-job splices in the tail light harness and got my passenger side brake and signal light working.
Name:  IMG_6703.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  51.2 KB
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote