View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Project: Tiki Express, '65 C10 Panel Truck Build

Well, my vehicle ADD kicked in and I ended up buying a '65 C10 Panel truck. I have wanted something like this for a while and it makes hauling the dog, with the wife and I, to shows and cruises much easier. We found this one on Craigslist and overall it is in nice shape with fresh paint but mechanically it had some issues.

The suspension was basically all original, right down to the original ball joints. The PO cut the front coils at least a 3"+ drop and heated the rear coils for an unknown amount of drop. It also had some 22"x9.5" "bling" wheels that had the wrong offset and rubber bands for tires. This cause rubbing issues in the rear inner wheel well. In an effort to "fix" this, the PO used some 1/4" spacers on the stock drum wheel studs. Needless to say, there was not much thread holding the lug nuts on. About 3 blocks from his house the driver rear wheel came off and dropped the panel onto the rear corner, denting it fairly good. He lost interest and decided to sell it.

I am going through it and fixing the hack job stuff, putting correct wheels and hopefully will end up with a nice ride for us. I am starting with redoing the suspension and converting it to disc brakes. I am using CPP parts. I really like the modular spindles I put on my other '65 truck, as they do not space out the wheels like other spindles do. The spindles drop the front 2" and I am using springs for another 1", for 3" total. The rear I am using their 4" HD drop springs that are made for panels and suburbans. New ball joints and tie rods with their one piece adjusters. I am putting a deluxe track bar that will clear the finned diff cover I have. Topping it off, I am putting Bilstein shocks all around.

So in the tear down I found the lower control arm shafts, which are the original ones, had too much play. The upper arms actually are still tight so I am going to just clean them up and use them as is. I also found that the PO used the center steering link as a tow point. Needless to say the U shape it's in is not how it should be. Luckily I was able to pick one up from a local guy.

Okay, I am sure some people are asking about the name. I want to do a mural on the sides of the panel (likely a vinyl wrap) that will have Tikis and a Hawaiian theme to it. The inside will have a similar theme to it. My wife and I collect Tikis, hence the theme.

Alright, on to the pictures...

As it came home on the trailer

Engine as I got it

Interior

Bling wheels...

Slot mags the PO gave me

Stock front suspension

Tear down, spindles and lower arms removed, upper ball joints removed

Lower arms, all original

Lower arms cleaned up, shafts removed and new ball joints installed

New cross shafts installed

Well, that it for now. Need to paint the arms, install them and get the spindles/brakes installed. Hope you will enjoy my build.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 02-02-2012 at 09:44 PM.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote