View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Went to the DMV in Mariposa, CA. They balked at the non-commercial black plates I wanted to use. I had a '68 tag to go on them that I hadn't put on before I went in.
That freaked 'em out when I pulled it out of an envelope. They said the plates were "63 plates and can't go on a '68". I showed them the '68 tag. From the look on their faces,
I thought they were staring down Charlie Manson's throat

Then I said, "Do it the easiest way. I don't want to register it as a commercial vehicle". She said, "If you wanna do that, you'd have to weigh it, put on a permanent camper shell,
and have it inspected. Take this form over there and wait in line again"

Again, I said, " Just take it off non-op, register it to me, and use the existing plate".

She said, "$177. Until September."

"$177!" I said, "It's a '68 truck", being careful NOT to tell her it was only a pile of parts right now, lest she want the Judge and Jury to visit the shop for an inspection. Or worse.

"Yeah. You told me you traded a $400 canoe for it. So there's use-tax on that four hundred. It's been on non-op since September of 2002, and you have transfer fees."

"Okay. I'll pay you. But I have only one plate. So can you at least order me another plate so I don't get stopped by a cop that has nothing better to do than check out my
truck and give me a ticket for one plate that I can't fix?"

She said, "That's another form and an additional fee. Take this over there and get back in line when you've filled it out."

I looked around and saw about 40 groups of folks that all had something better to do with their time than watch me get raped.

I said, "I'll pay the fee and worry about the lost plate, the commercial plate, and the black plates later".

A cheer went up from the crowd.

She said, "177, cash, check, or debit card?"

I paid her.

I came home and rehabbed both wind wings. It was a nasty job. But I was in the mood for it.
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 01-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.