View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 01:40 AM   #18
Accelo

Re: Plastic door hinge bushings???

Every original hinge I have pulled apart had the plastic bushing installed. They seem to last for decades and they cost less than brass or bronze. That’s why you can rest assured GM used them. On the heavier and longer door like on a Camaro they didn't last long.
greenweenie your originals are some of best I have ever observed. Amazing or they have been replaced? However, the pins look 100% original. New bushings and you're golden. I wouldn’t replace the pins on your hinges. Almost all the replacement are designed for multiple years and the replacement pin is too long.

Getting them out is another ordeal. Almost everyone I rebuild needs to be heated to get the pin out. And typically, it's red hot and the plastic bushing melt. They are difficult to get into a press as they will roll without a fixture. Even then it's easy to bend an ear if the pins sticks. A big vise and a 4Lb hammer seem to work the best. I hit the pin a couple times and if it doesn't move, out comes the torch. A small hammer will just pein the end over so best to make it a BFH. I drill a small divot in the top of each hinge half, on the side the pin is flared. This will avoid confusion when resembling the hinge.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote