View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #23
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 1954 Suburban "Buster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
....Thanks, Dan for the idea on 2000 grit. Sounds like a better plan than what I was doing! The hood is rough and the fenders have a lot of build up over the years.
You're welcome.

WARNING: Just my opinion coming: I'm not a fan of what a lot of guys call "patina" - I mean the rusty, dead flat paint from decades of buses or neglect.

I AM a fan of what I think really constitutes patina. Decades of polishing and caring for paint and chrome - even if it wasn't in that good of condition to begin with. My Dad's purchased-new, black '55 Chevy two door hardtop Belair to bring home his newborn son (me) was polished through to the orange factory primer in places by the time I got it at 17 because he tried to take care of it all those years.

PS: I wonder if there's chrome under your black painted grille? Some citrus paint stripper (if it's chrome under there) and then 0000 steel wool/wax will bring up whatever remains of it. Best of luck and please post pictures.

I think if you get it all shiny - even if you polish through to primer or bare metal - it'll look like someone's been trying to keep it nice through the years. Anyway, just my $.02. Whatever you do, as long as YOU like it is what's important!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote