View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 01:01 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

Finally got word about my heads. No cracks but they had some problems with a leak down test. Which is probably why the engine was sold with them thinking it was cracked. The machinist thinks maybe just a valve job and will tear them down to check out the valves, etc. He said there could be bent valves or possibly tuliped valves. That the engine may have been run hot.

So mixed news. Not cracked which is good but not exactly right either and will still cost me to repair them. So a valve job, resurfacing, new springs. Hopefully not a bunch of bent valves. If there's a bunch I'll probably use the larger valves from the 2nd gen coyote. I do plan on getting the mustang intake cams for sure, now that I know I'm not buying new heads.

Couple other things to research, the 1st gen truck engines had oil squirters for cooling the pistons which was later removed because they found it wasn't needed. I want to see if I can or should remove mine. There's a change with the oil pump from the mustang also. I should check the bearing condition. Make sure there's no bad wear. I really didn't plan on a full rebuild but don't want to waste time and money taking it apart again after rebuilding the top end if it's got low oil pressure.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote