View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 11:19 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Re: Major Disaster In Baltimore

It's good to see Maryland officials taking strides to do whatever they can to improve this passage. I'm about up to here with all the "woulda shoulda coulda". This passage has existed for 47 years with more tonnage passing under this bridge than numbers can count. I saw some YouTube armchair intellectual say the piers are too close, look at the Golden Gate span, why was this not a suspension bridge? You mean like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge?? I'm sure you could ask an actual engineer involved in the design and you'd get your answer. Maryland has one of the best hiway systems in the nation. The Port of Baltimore is ranked 9th in total tonnage, 10th in dry bulk, and 1st in motor vehicle import. It's busy with no such incidence until now. Experts say the loss of power and stiff currents were what steered it into the pier. Another expert explained reversing the thrust only involves one prop, which causes a ship to need rudder correction. Also, the port anchor had been dropped. Then there are those saying look at where the ship is from, insinuating China was involved. Singapore is at the tip of Southeast Asia and part of Malaysia, so wrong on that theory

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote