View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
urmyboyblue

Re: Budget Upgrade/Build on a 1966 C10 $900 budget

My comments in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBen777 View Post
Hello, I just sold a newer car with plans on making my 66 c10 a daily driver.
What's my budget? $900 in (Southern California)

Things I would like to accomplish:

1-Engine: inline 6 that ran - on stand (not sure of displacement yet, until I pull the spark plugs.)
*find a used or affordable radiator & hoses & install
*Replace the valvue cover gasket
*Replace the oil pan gasket & freeze plugs?
*Replace spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, and points
*Replace the water pump
*Replace the alternator
*Oil change, oil filter, fuel filter
*replace intake and 1 barrel carb for a 4 barrel setup

You can get concrete pricing on this thru the websites of Autozone, Advance, etc. so you won't have to guess prices. I would look for a comparable sized radiator from a newer vehicle and make it fit- you can get one out of a junkyard or from a parts store. They are less expensive then you might think. I would consider keeping the one barrel and rebuilding it to save money. Your budget is TIGHT here. I would ball park you spending $250 here without replacing the carb and intake.

2-Transmission: 2004r or 700r4 (probably 2004r so I don't have to shorten the first drive shaft)
*Pull a tranny from the junk yard
*Rebuild it if not very expensive for a kit.
*Install with engine in more forward mounting position if needed to save on drive shaft rework cost.

Look for a transmission in the want ads and Craigslist from a running vehicle. You will have to replace the yoke most likely and probably shorten the driveshaft. It might be cheaper to buy a driveshaft with the trans and shorten it. Around here, shortening a drive shaft is $100.

3-Brakes - Upgrade to power w/ dual reservoir front disk
*Locate dual reservoir, brake booster, & brake lines at good price & install
*get disk brake setup from a later model vehicle that can bolt right in & install w/ minkmal fab

Depending on the state of the truck as it stands, you might omit some of this. If it has been sitting for any length of time, then this is an area you don't want to skimp in. Go thru the brakes thoroughly. Disc brakes from a 73-87 will bolt on if you replace the spindles and ball joints as well as the steering linkages. Look for threads on this subject on this website.

4-Rewire myself

The cheapest way to go here is to buy bulk wire, reuse the existing plugs, and use generic fuse blocks and connectors. Still going to be around $200 for a full rewire.

5-Get windows functioning (glass fell out of place on both sides)

-----Perhaps postpone this a little if over budget-----

5-Gas tank relocation
*Find a later model tank to fit between the frame rails somewhere
Or make or have a custol tank made

6-Power Steering upgrade.

The power steering can be added when you update the brakes. Snag the steering gear box and pump off the same truck you pull the spindles and discs from.

Thank you for reading all that, any and all help is appreciated!

Oh, and I hope to document it all on my 60-66 C10 page on facebook! Drop by and check us out!

!https://m.facebook.com/Chevy-C-10-19...?ref=bookmarks
Good luck!
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote