View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 AM   #24
cpnbnanamn

Re: Definitive answer for I6 to SBC 350 swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Randy knows what he's talking about.

I've done this swap about half a dozen times personally. Pull out the six and drop in the V8. You can even reuse the rubber engine mounts off the six cylinder. Reuse your clutch, flywheel, starter, bolts, everything.

Screw a clutch pivot ball into the side of your V8. It will be obvious where it goes. I buy mine from Classic Parts for about 14 bucks. If your small block is a late model block there will be a blank spot where the pivot ball would screw in. In later years GM quit machining the hole since manual clutch linkages were a thing of the past (this is like TBI and Vortec era engines I'm talking about). Just drill and tap it. You can hardly go wrong, the Z bar points to exactly where the pivot ball needs to be.

Then take a hacksaw and cut about half an inch off of your clutch Z bar since the V8 is wider.

Done deal.
See, now THAT'S a definitive answer. The only caveat I am wondering about is putting a different trans in it. The 3OTT is coming out, too.. not sure what's going back in place of it just yet, but you can bet it'll be a stick shift!!
Thank you, Kevin!!