View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #16
1976gmc20

Re: 6 speed suddenly rough shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's why I'm scared of owning a newer vehicle. That transmission replacement cost twice what I paid for my '95 Suburban that I have driven and worked for six relatively trouble-free years. I just can't grasp that comparison. 4L80Es are electronic overdrive transmissions with a great reputation but they had to replace it with a craptastic inferior unit to gain an unneeded extra gear to keep up with marketing to yuppies is how I see it. TH350s? I had one rebuilt and that was a perfectly operating transmission ('72 in the '80s) that I wanted beefed up for mud bogging. The first guy didn't know what he was doing. He heard the hi-performance part but he must have thought I said I had a Camaro drag car. That transmission build lasted a few hundred miles before blowing up. Then I found someone better who did it right and it took all the abuse I gave it. I'm sorry to hear about your transmission trouble. If it were mine it would be sitting in the driveway waiting for me to figure out how I'd be able to pay for the repair.
I said I never would, but when I went shopping for the configuration I wanted I couldn't find anything that wasn't 200K++ miles and pretty beat up. Then I looked on the dealer site just for comparison and found this one just what I was looking for. I figured it would cost about the same in the long run to fix up an old one plus a year or more in time and dealing with various shops as I wouldn't do it all myself. I don't even have a decent place to work on anything so I'd have to spend several $10K building a shop first

So then they still had it after we had the money available, plus by then they had fixed a tear in the driver seat. I opted out of the service plan because we don't carry collision on our older vehicles worth <$10K and it's nothing but an insurance policy anyway. I figured at 73K miles nothing big would happen for several years and at least another 75K miles. It's all a big crap shoot anyway as "Ned Ryerson" would say

Hard to figure how a "90" transmission is craptastic compared an 80 or even the 60 that I had in the old Suburban. When it works it does work really nice, even almost up to the end. If I had realized that these weird symptoms we started having last summer were the transmission instead of the tires, then maybe I could have had it checked out sooner and saved it from total failure.

I'm just glad that it didn't fail while we were going to Colorado and back last summer! That would have been a real sh1t sandwich on top of a very strenuous expedition.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote