View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
verdell

Re: Rebuild 12 bolt or swap to 9 inch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
I have had this same debate in my swap to 5 lug and found I end up in a very similar place. I think the $2400 seems reasonable to me based on my research. It isn't exhaustive, but very recent.

Just a modern and streetable limited slip (truetrac, etc.) At the best price I could find was $850+. Add in new axles, ring and pinion, seals, bearings, and clean and paint... You are at 1800-2k, without labor. The disc brake conversion with parking brake even with a diy kit adds up fast as well. This isn't an argument against, but just a confirmation that it is easy to spend a lot on a rear end that may not be exactly what you want, when trying to save a few bucks.

However,if you are looking at an off the shelf 9" with brakes- it gets up near $4k really fast.

I think the days of finding a good 5 lug with posi in the junkyard or on Craigslist for $200 are long gone unfortunately. People are hoarding parts.
Seems a bit high. My brother had his 12 bolt rebuilt with a True Trac, Yukon Gears and narrowed Moser axles. He spent about $1100 in parts. I plan on doing the same next year. I'd do some more shopping around.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote