View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
ctandc

Re: 1984 GMC Sierra Classic - Delilah

So it's finally time to start working on her...

Lots of things happened since this "build" thread was started. Got married again - moved to a place with some land and an actual shop and a garage for parking.

Worked the old girl a good bit with construction projects around the house. Changed the 3.08 gears to 4.10's.

Ended up buying a '12 F150 FX4 (couldn't pass the deal up - 44K original miles and got it for what 150K mile trucks were going for) with the 5.0 as well.

- Queue the Ford jokes -

I was a GM / Chevrolet guy forever. First car was a '67 Chevelle. God knows how many A-body's, G-Body's, F-Body's between then and now......but I ended up with a few Fords...........

So this is finally out of my shop (for my son) after a 1.5 year long rebuild:

It's a daily - so minimal paint and body, original paint isn't horrible - but most importantly - ZERO rust / rot. But everything else was horrible. I went through the engine, trans, transfer case, pretty much every wiring harness, rebuilt the interior etc etc etc.

So now after a total kitchen destruction and remodel in the next month or so - it's now time for the 84 GMC to go under the knife.

Pics

Pictures are a couple of years old. Paint job is flaking off in spots. It looks better in the pictures than it actually is - but it's still not bad. Will need rear wheel well patch panels, at least one rocker...I'm sure I'll find more when it comes apart.

It's going down to the frame.

It's going to get a mild lift, some 35's, and basically everything gone through. It's the wife's truck - so she's in charge of color selection......

After having her wade through a color book I borrowed from the paint supply guy, she has decided on a two tone.

Middle color will be a 1966 Cadillac color

Paint chip doesn't really do it justice.

Going two tone like this 84 GMC:

She wants the white to be more of an "ivory" with some pop to it. Still haven't nailed that color down.

Still haven't decided if it's getting an LS Swap or not. We'll see once it gets blown apart. A lot depends on the engine that's in it now, could be a 305 or a 350 - never checked the casting numbers. Runs good. 700R4 was rebuilt before we got it.

If the engine is good - it'll get cleaned up and gone through and will stay with a carb. If not - it will likely get a LS swap. No reason to drop $1K on an aftermarket EFI conversion when a full LS swap isn't much past that....I would likely buy a complete running / wrecked truck or SUV and pick it apart for the LS swap.