Thread: The Pig Rig!
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 12:42 AM   #21
ericjon262

Re: The Pig Rig!

at this point, I had no plans to go any further into the bottom end, but I wasn't comfortable with the debris, so I decided it would be a good idea to pop a main cap, and a rod cap to check a couple of bearings, and the results were less than desired...

it's hard to tell in the pictures, but there is a nice score in the bearing, with copper showing. the #1 main bearing also had a bit of wear with visible copper. the journals on the crank are also scored... I attempted to polish the scores out, but they are beyond my capability to repair.

at this point, I have about 6 options.

have the crank ground, which costs about $200

buy a replacement crank, which is about $180

buy a junkyard engine, which is probably about $700, with questionable condition

buy a reman shortblock, which runs about $900, with more confidence.

and finally, the most expensive, but probably best option,

buy a wrecked or otherwise low cost late model suburban/tahoe with a 4.8 or 5.3, some swap mounts, and smash the two together for about $2500

theoretically, I could part out the late model and recoup some of my costs, but I'm unsure of what parts are worth for one, so I probably won't go that route. realistically, I'm probably going to buy a replacement crank, clean up the block as best as I can, and get it on the road. my biggest concern with a replacement crank, is that the balance of the engine may not be right anymore with the new crank, but, this isn't exactly a high RPM monster either, and I imagine an 80's GM rotating assembly probably wasn't balanced that precisely anyways.
Attached Images

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote