View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #13
Andy69Blazer

Re: Blazer top sag / repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
I have a couple of both single and double wall tops.. the doubles sag worse than the singles.
I hate to say it but the "trusses" you see in the blueprints are not metal.. they are simply 1"X2"s .. yes.. they are wood!!

Reason I know this after stripping the texture off of the single wall top to smooth it out, I found a lump and a crack on the passenger side above a "rib" so while grinding it down I hit wood.. Whoa!!

I really pondered taking a die grinder and cutting slots from side to side and removing the wood trusses and then propping up the sags from underneath and epoxing in new steel 1X2 rectangular tubing then refinishing it all. But I already had over 40 hours in smoothing it and decided to live with the sags.

Just remember if you do any repairs to any of the tops, They are not the "normal" fiberglass, they are made of SMC and do not have a gel coat, this requires different materials to repair, If you use regular polyester resin it will fail over time!..
The best materials to use are SMC formulated resins. Or epoxy.. also when you go to paint it. make sure the very first coat is epoxy primer and not urethane as it will not stick.
Thank you for info!
Andy69Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote