View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
joedoh

Re: please explain power steering components

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyblue View Post
Oh and is it weird to think you could add a collapsible dd shaft?

you could but shouldnt need one. a collapsible shaft is usually for when the steering shaft points in a roughly straight line right up the column, its so if you have a front end collision the shaft doesnt turn into a spear right into the drivers chest.

its generally accepted that if you put a column saver bearing on an original 40s-50s column that it could spear you in a crash.

more modern columns have a collapsible section built into the column (internal crush), as well as spot welded mounting points that will break off when in a collision.

additionally, your shaft will take a sharp down turn when it dives to the rack, so most of the collision force will push on the side, not straight up the shaft.

I use columns that have a collapsible section of the shaft from the factory, so I frequently use a collapsible shaft (not always, the modern columns have the protections I mention) your column has a rag joint at the end, so it SHOULD (you should research this and not take my word) have an internal collapsing section.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote